Friday, January 20, 2012

Back at the Ranch

We are home.  Hallelujah.  It is good to be here, back where Dad said he wanted to be for the last 3 weeks.
We asked Dad several times if this was still his goal, and he always answered YES. So today, we began the process of getting him home.  Hospice stepped in to help us facilitate the transition and all that had to be done to get him here.  There is no question in my mind, that God hand picked the hospice staff to walk us through this and to care for our Daddy.  Each and every one of them have been so precious, gentle, and caring for Dad, and so kind to us.
We left the hospital this evening, in a caravan, with me leading the way to the ranch, then Dad and Mom in the ambulance transport, followed by all the rest of the siblings.  Some of the other family members; aunts, uncles, cousins, all had left each with a specific job to do, greeting the nurse at the ranch, accepting and helping set up equipment we needed at the house, going by the grocery to get us coffee and creamer for in the morning, you name it, they each had a role.......Team Janszen.
As I looked in my rearview mirror, at the motorcade bringing Dad home, me in the lead, and Tully bringing up the rear, to wrangle in any stragglers, I thanked God for my family.  We are together, we are working as a unit, those in the caravan, and those doing all the other jobs to prepare the house, so we could come home. We are not perfect, we have our flaws, we have our stuff, just like every other family, but I praised God tonight for each and every one of them.  This is our family, the family Dad has had such a huge role and influence on, and I thanked God.


Before we left the hospital, one of our precious nurses, Billy, was asking about our family, and we began to talk about his faith, and our faith.  He asked if we believed in "once saved always saved". I told Mom later I am an idiot in sharing the gospel, I certainly couldn't think of the references, but I started quoting scripture to support why we believed what we believed. Thank goodness it is not up to us to save someone, and it is totally by the grace of God and the working of the Holy Spirit!! Anyway, I think I got nervous and just kept sharing our story of our family, Dad, Jesus, what He did for us on the cross, etc....... I finally asked, if I was just rambling on too much, and he said, "no, I'm a sponge and I am soaking it up." Mom suggested I write down the scriptures for him, so I did, then stuck them in his backpack before we left to go home.  Pray for Billy, who knows the seed that could have been planted because of Dad's suffering.


So what now? We are home, Dad is in his favorite spot in the game room, by the window where he always sat to do his Bible study, and could watch the beautiful sunrise.  Dad is hanging in there, but his body just seems to be doing the best it can, and yet continuing to lose strength.  We are all here, the 4 kids and Mom. Our husbands are holding down the fort at my house with the 7 grandkids.  They will be joining us in the morning.  Everyone has gone to go lay down and try to get a little rest, I am sitting with Dad and the nurse for awhile, and wanted all of you to know you are sitting here with us.  We have felt your prayers, there have been so many moments when it seemed we felt something carrying us through, and it is the Lord.  He is mighty, He is worthy, we love Him so much.


We are not sure what will happen next, but God is in control.  We are going to be together, that I know for sure.  We are so grateful for your understanding during this time for our family to be together and share this very intiment time with Dad. We are so grateful for your love for Dad, and wish all of you could come be with us, but thank you for your understanding as we reserve these moments for family.


I will keep you posted, but right now, he is resting.
We love you all,
JJ

12 comments:

Kathy Bergami said...

Please let Mike know he is in my thoughts and prayers as is the whole family during this difficult time. Please give Mike a kiss for me and let him know I love him.! He will always hold a special place in my heart. He was like a Dad to me and never judged me even with all my flaws. I will never forget everything he did for me.
Love Always, Kathy Bergami

Anonymous said...

J.J, thank you for sharing the details of this journey with us. I've been awake since 3:00 "sitting" with your dad in the gameroom praying for him and the whole family. I'm so glad he is in his favorite spot. I've been thinking about the beautiful sunrises he's seen from that spot, all of the hours he's sat right there praying for you all, the peace of God, the outside noises, the kids running through the house, the smell of coffee, family.....I'm glad he's home. Praying God's strength for you all. Love you. Brenda

Anonymous said...

Best decision,ever. "Let's go HOME"

I wish the rodeo wss on tv for him.

Love from

The Smalls

Anonymous said...

Thank you JJ for sharing with us and keeping us updated. We are all there with you and your family thru the Holy Spirit. May God wrap His loving arms around each one of you and comfort you during this time.
Give Mike a hug for me tell him it's from Deanne Brown. I can hear his burly voice when we get together saying "d
Deanne Brown how you doing gal".
Love always Mike's sister thru Christ.
Deanne

Bob White said...

We love you Mike. It's great to be at home with a family who loves God. May God's peace and strength surround you all today.

Anonymous said...

My prayers are with all of you. I do hope this morning's sunrise was glorious at the ranch for Mike. J.J., thank you for taking time to share with all you have going on right now. Please know others care and love your dear family.
Love and prayers,
Donna Bradley

Donnave said...

Praying for you, Mike, and all your precious family. So happy that you are surrounded by those who love you so much!
Many, many are praying. We are believing in God's wonderful love and that He knows best!
Praise God from Whom all blessings flow, Praise Him all creatures here below, Praise Him above ye heavenly host, Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost! Amen

Anonymous said...

JJ, please tell Mike I love him so very much! Tell him that he is always in my prayers, even "way back when", I prayed my son would be a man exactly like Mike Janszen! I can't think of a better man! Give him a HUGE hug for me, and tell him thank you for always pointing me in the right direction! Shanna Jordan <3

Anonymous said...

J.J. You and your family continue to be a blessing to me and so many others. May God grant you his peace and comfort during this chapter of your life. Praying daily for all of you!
Jim Pelletier

Cruson Crew said...

JJ, this post had me in tears. Such a blessing for you all to have your daddy home, right where he needs to be at this time in his journey. What an amazing gift for you all to be right at his side. Praying for God's comfort & peace to be wrapped around you all.
Love, The Cruson & Wilson families

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful day for an awesome cowboy, who loved wide open spaces and sunshine :-). So glad you are home facing that gorgeous view. God is so amazing to give you this gift today, which is pretty strange this time of year.
I just wanted to share some thoughts with you. First of all,
I love you Mike Janszen for the countless ways you have always been there for me and the girls. More times than I can count, you and Jan have been a piller of strength, wisdom and even provision for us. Im so grateful my girls had you as an example of a Godly husband, and father.
When moving to Keller in 1984, I prayed for a new beginning. I prayed for God to provide good friends, and families for my girls. That is when I realized how very much He loved us.....he gave us the Janszens, our very first friends. What followed was, and still is an amazing journey of love, support, encouragement, guidence, hope, prayer, and provision, and so much more, that cannot be put into words. You have not only been a rock for your family, but for mine and so many others. God used you and Jan in a mighty way to help keep this single parent grounded. I will forever and ever be grateful. Life is so funny. I remember Straight out of med school, you were my dad's therapist, then 40 years ago, (when you still had hair) you treated my brother for a football injury. It's amazing that our paths crossed again many years later, When my Jayme met your Jamie. From that day on, the Janszens were and still remain a HUGE part of our lives, and who we are today. No matter what the circumstances through the years, you and Jan have taught us so much, and are always there to point us back to the Lord and provided scripture to back it up. You live your lives to honor God in all situations. There is no way I could ever repay your selflessness, I can only say...Thank you from the bottom of my heart for being such an obidient,Godly,selfless,"Stern" ;-) servant. Your beautiful children are a testiment to who you and Jan really are. They are amazing ! You are a beautiful soul with a huge heart. Thank you for so many priceless and precious memories. I love you so much. See you soon.

Jan,JJ&Ray,Jayme&Clint,Tully&Tara,
Joy,Gaga,Sue,grandbabies, and the rest of the family. Praying this time is sweet with Mike. Praying for the Lord to carry you through today,and those days and weeks to follow. Praying for his Grace to pour out that supernatural anesthetic that only he can provide. Thank you JJ for the most beautiful blogg I've ever read. I don't know how you did it.
Love you all ! Cindy

Anonymous said...

JJ, your blog last nite was beautiful, but heartwrenching. Mike came into my life 27 years ago as a boss and friend. I, like everyone else, love him so much. May the Lord wrap his arms around your beautiful family. To God Be The Glory. Judith Richardson